Monday, April 17, 2006

Paralyzed by Technology

Last week, my life came to a screeching halt when my computer crashed.

In the working world begot with paychecks, when technology failed me, I called the IT help-line. The 5 digit extension was etched into my cerebrum. Even though the IT department was outsourced by the time I turned in my resignation letter, those guys were always just a call-a-way. I never cared if they thought I was some ridiculously ill-informed user. Nor did I mind if they mocked my technological ineptitude. All I cared about was their ability to fix my machine while I took a ten-minute walk around the building to relieve my frustration. Documents and emails never get lost, unless the company is under investigation by Eliot Spitzer.

The IT help-line was another advantage of the working world. There was always someone there to fix my stuff. Even when my home computer faltered, some tech guy could always keep me surfing the net at work.

It took five days of daddio's dedication to fix my home computer problems last week. I offered zero help. It's not that I didn't want to, I just couldn't. Honestly, the only form of assistance I could have offered would have been brownies or chocolate chip cookies. However, I mucked that up, too, given that I didn't consider it until now. Go figure.

During those long five days, I tried not to think too hard about the potential damage to my life. I had a few minor inconveniences. I would have lost some contact information that would have taken time to recover. Most importantly, I would have lost nine months of precious pictures.

I've never lost a limb. Perhaps it's not fair to compare. But, I sure felt dismembered!

Fortunately, Daddio saved the day. I'm back up and running with none of my photos, contacts or documents noticeably missing.

Thank you Daddio!

No comments:

Post a Comment