Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Deluge of Incoming Information

Recently, I've been drowning in paperwork. There seems to be this increasing, insurmountable amount of mail, junk, semi-junk, and non-junk amassing in my kitchen. Among those three mail categories there are school flyers, notes and documents that must be sorted.

They must be sorted and there is only one person able to do the sorting. Me. I'm self-appointed. I schedule the calendar. I know what's worthy of keeping and what can be chucked. Why? Because I chose to serve as the family manager. Plus, in my past life (pre-children), I was incredibly organized. I was so organized I had my spice rack in alphabetical order.

So what happens if I don't sort it? What will I miss? A bill payment? A book fair? A birthday party? Camp registration? Another credit card offer? A birth announcement (seems to be a baby boom among our friends)? Introduction to Libby Lu's Pooch Parlor?

Having recently sorted one of the many paper piles on my kitchen counter, I noticed that we receive more credit cards offers than is prudent, or financially healthy, for any household. I don't know how many trees have been sacrificed to propose consolidated credit or an incredibly low APR. It never matters what we're offered because I submit these overtures immediately to the shredder, located ten feet from the amassing paper piles.

Then, a friend enlightened me to the small print found at the bottom of every credit card offer.

1-888-5-OPT-OUT

I could have saved so many trees by now. I should have done more.... but who reads this junk anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment