Monday, February 21, 2005

Communicating with a 2 yr old

Dags, turning 2 in 2 months, has joined the ranks of those among the infamous "terrible two" stage. This morning, I awoke to Dagny whining, and VV nicely asking if she should "go get mommy". I laid in bed, hoping it would pass. However, it grew into an intolerable crescendo forcing me to rise from the warmth of my comfortable bed. I think Dagny spent the better part of the day frustrated over not having enough words to describe her wants and needs and the frustration she feels by not having enough independence. Clearly, the child would love to express more clearly her wants and needs. Likewise, she would like to be a "big girl" and dress herself. Receiving help just infuriates her all the more. It's an internal battle that takes time as she must master various motor and verbal skills, causing the rest of us to painfully observe.

On the bright side, she recently learned how to say "yes". Not just a nod, but a full-blown "yes". It might be nearly inaudible when rushed, but it's there and it's clear.

Me: Do you want help?
Dags: No!
Me: Do you want socks?
Dags: No!
Me: Do you want a cookie?
Dags: .... yes!....

Huge success for an almost 2 yr old! It's the little moments of progress that remind me of the fun we have, despite the daily growing pains of growing up. It reminds me too, of the growing pains of my own childhood. I love reliving these moments through my children. Would I want to repeat it myself? Heck no... I'm happy with where I've been, where I am and look forward to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment