Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Grovel for Gravel

I realize that some rocks in the world are precious. Some are worth a lot of money. Some are pretty and sparkly. However, what could be so special about gravel? Isn't gravel just useless rock fragments and pebbles used as a cheaper alternative to pavement?

At swimming lessons, part of the parking area is covered in gravel. There are man-made painted orange lines showing cars where to park. As a result, some of these rocks are colored orange on one side. My children are obsessed by the gravel at swimming lessons. For both of them, picking out their precious rocks seems to be the highlight of the swim lesson experience.

Upon arrival, they hussle out of the car to seize their precious stones. I eventually coax them toward the swim instructors back yard where the pool awaits. As Valerie shyly edges toward the pool, she makes me swear, nearly on my life, that I will save her special piece of the earth's crust until she can retrieve it upon completion of her lesson. I oblige.

Meanwhile, Dagny spends the swim lesson stalking the gravel. She compares and contrasts nothing less than 20 pieces of gravel in a thirty minute period. This one is bigger, that one looks like a fish, and this one is cool. She attempts to keep as many pieces of gravel as her little mitts can carry. If I offered her a bucket, she's start hauling the dirty white rock fragments home to place inside her toy-box containing assorted prized possessions.

After the swim lesson, we head to the car. The girls squat by the side of the car gathering as many rocks as possible to haul home. I inform my offspring that we have to leave rocks for the other kids, too. Each child only gets one rock. I mean really, if we take all the rocks, where will the cars park? Where will the other kids find rocks (knowing full well gravel is everywhere)?

They look up at me silently and I know they are thinking, "Who cares about the other kids? They can find their own rocks!"

The ride home is full of conversation and descriptions of their gravel.

If this keeps ups, their future husbands will save a lot of money offering them gravel engagement rings, painted orange on one side. Maybe I am doing someone a favor by allowing them to steal our swim instructors gravel.

No comments:

Post a Comment