Thursday, September 22, 2005

Preschool Transition

After searching high and low for a preschool, I found a program for Dagny that is absolutely wonderful. I just wish I had found it two years ago for Valerie to attend. The school is called Magic Years, and I can confirm that the school is truly magical.

Dagny started school the day after Labor Day. The school takes a transitional approach. At first, one parent is required to stay with their child in the classroom. Over time, as each child becomes more trusting of the incredible teachers, the parent takes potty breaks and visits the "mommy" room where the mom (or occasional dad) can be summoned at any given moment. Then, the parent leaves the "mommy" room to complete short errands. Eventually, the parent is able to leave the child for the full three hour program.

With Valerie, I recall, dropping her off at school. We were literally ripped apart as she screamed and reached for me. Walking me out the door, the teachers scoffed at my misery assuring me that, "She'll be fine once you leave. The faster you leave, the faster she'll recover." I'm not so sure that ever happened. In retrospect, what a mistake Valerie's first school experience was.

I am truly amazed at how wonderful this transition approach is at Dagny's school. I've become a true believer. It took Dagny three weeks to complete the transition. Of course, I can't help but feel mixed emotions that she is fully transitioned. While it's so great that she enjoys school, part of my heart aches that she doesn't NEED me like she once did. But, what is so wonderful about this idea of a first school experience is that it really works: no tears, no separation anxiety, and no fear of abandonment. Why don't more schools do this?

To show you how genuinely happy she is, here's my baby girl waiting to go into school:

Dagny school

No comments:

Post a Comment