Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Where Babies Come From

I was alone with Valerie in the car recently. The time spent together, alone, is such a great treasure. With each passing day, our conversations grow a smidgen deeper.

Surprising me, she recently asked, "Mommy, where to babies come from?"

Thinking how well I could nail this, I carefully explained, "Babies grow inside mommies' tummies." Sometimes, less is more!

Looking for more, Valerie probed, "No, before that, WHERE do babies come FROM?"

Not sure what she was getting at, I offered, "Mommies and daddies love each other a lot and decide to have a baby. Then, the baby grows inside the mommies' tummy." I worried, how much does my soon-to-be-five year old know about the birds and the bees?

Growing irritated, Valerie slowed down so I could catch up, "NO mom, what STORE do you go to, to get a BABY?"

Imagine the population problem we'd have on this planet if we could buy babies at the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment