Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Begrudging Mom

The question haunts me, How Does She Do It?

I'm talking about my own mother. I'm nearly convinced she's superhuman. Even Ken is sure to point out, "Your mom IS impressive!"

Last weekend, Ken and I enjoyed a short, but relaxing weekend in Mexico, while my parents watched the girls. I wrote a seven page document outlining when to go where and how to get there. I even included medical contact information and insurance cards should the need arise. With limited time, I tried to be comprehensive.

I admit that I've been fretting about my maternal inadequacies since last weekend. To explain, last Friday morning, Ken and I departed the house before normal humans rouse their rested souls from their cozy beds. Sitting in LAX airport at 8:05 am, I thought I would call with my parents to make sure everything was going smoothly during the morning rush hour. As I've noted before, for me, it's a whirlwind daily routine that I feel is barely accomplished each weekday morning. Each day we arrive at school fed, coifed and on-time, I feel I deserve a metal.

As I talked on the phone with my mother, she informed me that the girls were dressed, with hair and teeth brushed. So far, so good. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Then, my mom continued by recounting that each of my offspring had eaten three pancakes for breakfast. I thought, "What, my children actually ATE breakfast?" Could she be talking about my Valerie and Dagny?

She proceeded, "Yes, and they ate their vitamins and juice and I packed Valerie's lunch and backpack. We're all set to go to school now. So, we'll probably leave in about ten minutes!"

WHAT? Not only did you make fresh pancakes (not the frozen kind you put in the toaster oven), but YOU HAVE TIME TO SPARE? In shock, I just accepted the news, hung up and blocked it out with my new IPOD earphones plugged into my head.

I've wondered about the ten spare minutes for several days now. I can't seem to let it go. HOW did she DO it? So, I expressed my concern to Ken. He laughed and flatly said, "Julie, as impressive as you are at getting stuff done, you're NOT your mother."

I grew defensive in that high-pitched whiney voice, "But, you see, she had a lot of things in her favor..."

As I grew more defensive, the truth of his statement hit me. My mom is truly superhuman at accomplishing just about anything. So, instead of focusing on my own inadequacies, I'll revel knowing that my children were well cared for last weekend in my absence and my seven page document was read and followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment