Tuesday, January 3, 2006

I Want Yours....

Many mornings, I eat cereal for breakfast. I may not eat with the kids, due to the rush occurring at day break, but I always eat something at some point before lunch.

This morning, we survived the morning rush (brushing hair, brushing teeth, feeding my offspring, packing lunch, unloading the dishwasher, gulping coffee, filling the backpack, loading the car and driving to school). After dropping Valerie at school, Dagny and I returned home and I allowed myself a tranquil breakfast. As requested, I turned on the Wiggles to occupy my youngest child. I poured myself a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice.

I peacefully sat at the table and scooped the first spoonful toward my mouth. Before the flakey grains could enter my mouth, little feet pattered on the kitchen floor in my direction. I looked down to notice Dagny grinning in her charming way. She asked, "Can I have some, too?"

Sure. I stood up and moved toward the pantry.

"No, mommy, NO! I want YOURS!"

But, honey, don't you want your own?

"NO mommy. I want YOUR cereal."

But, it all tastes the same. It's all from the same box. It's going to be EXACTLY the same, just a different BOWL, okay?"

"NO NO NO, MOMMY! I WANT YOUR CEREAL."

Fine you can have my cereal and I'll get another bowl. As I get another bowl, I watch her take a bite of my cereal. She eats the one bite and watches me fix the next bowl. As I head toward the table with my second attempt of eating, Dagny clearly stated, "I change my mind. I'll have my own bowl, mommy. You take this one back!"

Isn't that what I suggested at the beginning? So, I ate the soggy cereal....

No comments:

Post a Comment