Friday, June 17, 2005

Aspirations for a Brother

As we drove to school today, the conversation turned to brothers and sisters.

Valerie announced: My friend Stephanie has a big brother. I want one too.

Me: Well, it's doubtful that you'll have a big brother or little brother at this point. Your daddy and I have decided that we're happy with just two kids - you and your sister.

Valerie: But, I WANT a brother....

Me: Sorry. Maybe you can borrow your friend's brother until you get tired of him. Or better yet, why don't you pretend you have a brother.

Valerie: (excited) When I grow up, I'm going to be a brother.

Me: How are you going to do that? You're a sister. Once you're a sister, you're kind of stuck - you don't have any options or choice in the matter.

Valerie: It's okay mommy, I'm going to be a brother when I grow up.

Me: Maybe you could dress up as a brother for Halloween. Try that first. Later, you can decide if you want to be a brother when you grow up.

The conversation reminded me of my own disjointed assumptions as a little girl living on 48th Street in Des Moines, IA. I clearly remember straddling the potty. I had to practice going potty like a boy so that I would be ready to "turn into a boy" on my seventh birthday.

How do kids come up with this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment