Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Happy Camper

Today marked Valerie's first day of camp at her new school. I left her at the school this morning feeling a little apprehensive. The place seemed completely chaotic - kids, counselors and parents just milling about. I feared there would be little organization to the day.

Fortunately, I stayed long enough to see that Valerie was assigned to a particular group. She trotted off with her counselors and I still had an uneasy feeling.

The day passed very slowly. I watched the clock tick and waiting by the phone, expecting them to call me to inform me of her difficulty adjusting.

The only noise in the house besides Dagny and myself was the ticking of the clock.

As the time neared for me to fetch her from camp, I grew anxious. We had enjoyed such a nice day yesterday at the museum and I missed her so much. Surely she had missed me too!

As I drove through the carpool lane, I viewed her smiling through the rearview mirror, happily ambling toward the car with her counselor.

Once she was settled in her car-seat, I asked, "How was your day? Did you have fun?"

Valerie: Yes, mommy. Camp is SO fun! (with an ear-to-ear grin)

Me: Great. What did you do that was so fun?

Valerie: I don't know.

Me: Did you make new friends?

Valerie: Yes (still beaming)

Me: What are their names?

Valerie: I don't know.

Me: What are your counselors' names?

Valerie: I don't know.

Me: Did you go swimming at camp?

Valerie: I don't know.

Me: But, you had fun at camp right?

Valerie: Yes - I LOVE CAMP! Can I go again tomorrow?

I have no idea what happened at camp today, but I do know that I reside with a truly happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment