Monday, June 13, 2005

In the Summer Time

When recounting a memory, Valerie is apt to begin the story with, "In the summer time, ...."

For example, "In the summer time, we ate watermelon." I may not recall the particular moment of consumption, but most likely, this occurred at some point last summer.

Or, "Remember when I took swimming lessons in the summer time?" Why yes, of course, I remember.

Whether a particular event happened a year ago, a month ago, a week ago, or even just yesterday, Valerie often begins the story with the phrase "In the summertime, ...."

In describing another flashback, Valerie might say, "Daddy, in the summer time, I saw Santa Claus." Um, yes, we went to the mall to visit Santa Claus, but that was during the winter time just before Christmas.

Recently, "Mommy, remember when you came to visit my school to celebrate mother's day in the summer time?" Well, last month, I came to your class to celebrate mother's day and that was in the spring time.

Or even, "In the summertime, last week, Stephanie came to play at my house."

Perhaps the confusion of time stems from the warm southern California climate to which we have become accustomed. Or perhaps, the confusion of seasons and timing relates to the failure for most preschoolers to comprehend time in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment