Tuesday, November 15, 2005

He Know If You've Been Bad or Good...

I don't recall exactly how it started.

I must have been irritated with the antics of a two-and-a-half year old. It's easy for any parent to feel like he or she is coming to the end of his or her rope with a child this age.

At the time, she was probably hanging from a chandelier or something comparable. But, knowing that we were nearing the holiday season, a song came to popped into my mind:

Oh! You better watch out,
You better not cry,
You better not pout,
I'm telling you why:
Santa Claus is coming to town!

He's making a list,
Checking it twice,
Gonna find out who's naughty or nice.
Santa Claus is coming to town!

He sees you when you're sleeping,
He knows when you're awake.
He knows if you've been bad or good,
So be good for goodness sake!

Oh! You better watch out,
You better not cry,
You better not pout,
I'm telling you why:
Santa Claus is coming to town!

The line that popped into my mind and out of my mouth was "He knows if you've been bad or good, So be good for goodness sake!"

Ever since, whenever Dagny does something she knows is inappropriate behavior, she'll tell me, "Santa Claus knows what I'm doing, mommy!" Then, she self-corrects.

The over-commercialization of this holiday may not be so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment