Monday, November 21, 2005

The Pillars of Character

Apparently, child educators have taken on teaching basic values to children. Each month, Valerie's school opts to focus on one of the six pillars of character in the classroom. I don't remember doing this when I was in preschool or elementary school. But back then, parents and grandparents usually provided these life lessons at home. Perhaps families are too busy these days. Somebody should be responsible for teaching these basic codes of behavior in our society to our future leaders.

Overall, I agree that these pillars of character are a good idea. Yet, I can't help but wonder how these pillars are a bit contradictory. A perfect example arose the other day.

Despite the current concentration on the virtue of "caring", Valerie asked me if I was, "carrying a baby in my tummy".

Not sure where this was going, I responded, "No, honey. I don't have a baby in my tummy. Do you want a baby sister or brother?"

Valerie flatly remarked, "No mommy. You just look like you have a baby in your belly."

I wanted to shout, "But, I go to the gym! I only weigh 118 pounds and am still a size 4 or 6 (depending on the cut)! I've given birth to two kids via cesarean section! My mid-section doesn't look THAT bad!"

Instead, I gritted my teeth and focused on her demonstration of honesty. I wondered when would be a good time to teach the grey area of these six pillars of character. Her honesty completely blew away the "caring" pillar.

I know a few adults who could use a lesson in this grey area, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment