Saturday, March 4, 2006

Crazy for Cosmetics

Being a girl, nearing kindergarten, Teacup has developed an obsession for makeup. When I pick her up from school, her teachers announce that she is playing with her friends underneath the various slides and monkey bars. (In my school years, playground equipment was termed jungle gyms). Apparently, my daughter and her friends give one another makeovers with rocks, pine-cones, leaves and other found fauna.

This interest in maquillage has invaded birthday party goodie bags, to my dismay. This purple goop is disguised in a plastic princess necklace pendant. Not only does this substance smell like grape Bubbilicious Bubble Gum, it stains anything it touches, including skin.

Makeup

Unfortunately, I found the substance a little too late.

Having survived this particular application of makeup, I opted to address the issue.

"Teacup, did you know that women use makeup to hide flaws? Usually, older people use it to cover up moles and wrinkles. Younger people don't need makeup because their skin is nearly perfect," I tried to explain.

"So, why do YOU wear makeup?" she asked.

Dumbfound, I stuttered and changed the subject! So much for quick wit as a mom.

Since that conversation, I've reduced my already minimal application of mascara, a dab of eye-shadow and lipstick, to my trusty ChapStick®. And, I avoid the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment