Sunday, March 5, 2006

Role-Playing

Lately, Teacup often suggests that we take on different roles around the house. She gets to be the baby and Scooter gets to be the big sister. Yet, why am I always assigned to play the "mom"?

Admittedly, I limited my role-playing options when Valerie offered to be the mommy awhile back. A little too enthusiastically when she offered to be the "mom", I answered, "Cool! You can be the mommy! That means, you get to do the laundry, drive everyone around, sort through the deluge of incoming papers...."

With fervor, Valerie shouted, "Yeah! I'll be the mommy!"

"... and you get to make dinner, too!" I continued.

Apparently, THAT was the show-stopper. She sorrowfully stated, "But mommy, I don't know HOW to make dinner!" (As though she could reach the buttons on the washing machine without a ladder or push the accelerator and check the rearview mirrors while backing out of the driveway.)

Pleading, I offered, "Oh, dinner's easy. I'll show you how to do everything. And if that doesn't work, we could always order out!"

"No.... I guess, I'll be the baby and YOU can be the mommy!" she suggested.

So, that's it! I thought I was stuck being the mommy until today. At age thirty-five, I got to be the "grandma" and Scooter was assigned the role of "mom".

Despite the age factor, I think I just might enjoy "grandmother"-hood one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment