Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A Love of Listening

Last weekend, in a moment of desperation to extinguish a tantrum, I pulled out the Frog and Toad CD audio collection from the growing stash of birthday presents and popped it into the stereo. Fifteen minutes later, the preschooler in question had conked out.

Since becoming a mother, my favorite activity is reading books to the kids before bed each night. I love relaxing with the kids, sharing the closeness and enjoying the quality time of this daily activity. Of late, I admit, our dedicated reading time has been less than relaxing - largely because the kids cannot agree upon any books. So, I offer to read one book of their choosing to each, independently. Yet, whoever's book isn't being read becomes disruptive, ruining the enjoyment of the other's story-time. So, my favorite daily activity has turned into something I dread.

I introduced the Frog and Toad CD audio collection on Saturday. Both children have pleaded for the "story" every night since. If they do not fall asleep after playing the CD the first time, I am beckoned to "play it again" forty-four minutes later. The second time works like a charm and they fall asleep like peaceful little angels.

Despite having started using audio-books, I am completely torn about using them. It's so EASY to use audio-books, yet I really enjoy reading to my children. If I'm feeling this torn about audio-books, how will I feel when they go off to college?

Walking downstairs this evening, I could hear Valerie's guttural giggle as she listened to Frog and Toad bickering over Toad wearing his swim trunks. I guess it's all worth it knowing that she still loves listening to a good book, whoever is reading the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment