Friday, April 8, 2005

Need Some Lovin'

Last night, I went to my bookclub meeting. Ken served as the designated parent for the evening. I was having a very nice time chatting about The Poisonwood Bible with some girlfriends, until my cell phone began to chirp.

Uh oh! It could only be one person. Not because only one person knows my cell phone number, but because few people call me in the evening, and anyone trying to reach me would leave a message at home, my normal post for that time of day. It was my husband. For Ken to call me, I knew the problem had to be pretty bad. Apparently, Dagny would not go to bed. She screamed uncontrollably for "mommy" for over an hour before Ken broke down to interrupt my evening. Normally, my kids are good about going to bed and I'm happy to leave them a couple of evenings a month to enjoy some adult stimulation. While it's nice to be wanted, I admit it would have been nice to have finished my adult-only outing. Oh well, there would be another bookclub meeting next month....

I arrived home to discover Dagny had finally passed out! No big deal, Ken and I had the time to watch one of our favorite shows, Survivor Palau. Afterwards, I checked and kissed the kids, we went to bed and everyone, as usual, slept peacefully through the night.

At 6:45 this morning, my door opened and closed. I heard little footsteps nearing my side of the bed. A little voice whispered, "MOMMY!" and I saw the shadow of little arms reaching up. Remembering the prior evening, I smiled and reached down to pick up Dagny. I lifted her to the bed. She laid on my chest, as though she were a newborn. We snuggled. I don't remember how long we cuddled, but neither of us moved an inch. We just enjoyed resting together, breathing slowly. She may have drifted off, but I laid on the bed with my eyes closed while wide awake, cherishing the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment