Sunday, April 3, 2005

On Being a Mom

This afternoon VV and I shared a sweet conversation.

While sitting on my lap, I asked her, "Do you know that mommy and daddy love you?"

VV: "Yes. Do you remember when I was in your tummy and I couldn't see you and then I came out of your tummy and I still couldn't see you?"

Me: (thinking, Of course, I remember. Do YOU really remember that?) "Do you think I'm an okay mommy?" (You see, at home moms lacking a sense of accomplishment and periodic performance reviews, need a stroke here and there. I guess we are used to constant criticism - it's too hot, it's too cold, that's ugly, ewe, I don't like it, that's too much, there's not enough, you forgot to xyz. Consequently, we prod for positive compliments when an opportunity presents itself!)

VV: "Yeah, especially when you make me dinner." (So, why don't you usually eat it?)

Me: "Do you want to be a mommy when you grow up?"

VV: "Yep, I'm going to be a mommy too when I get big!"

Me: "I think you'll be a good mommy because you are a good teacher and you share with your little sister."

VV: "When I'm a mommy, I'm going to make dinner every night!"

Me: "What do you think the best part of being a mommy is?"

VV: "Making dinner! I love it when you make dinner."

Me: "Sometimes you don't eat my dinner."

VV: "That's because I eat my own dinner, not yours!"

Me: "What's your favorite thing for dinner?"

VV: "Salad! I love salad and feta cheese and walnuts!"

Me: "So, are you going to eat salad tonight?"

VV: "Maybe. Can I have some trailmix, now?"

In retrospect she was just buttering me up! I should have caught the ulterior motive. FYI, I let her have the snack anyway - dinner is yet 2 hours away.

No comments:

Post a Comment