Tuesday, April 5, 2005

To Swing or Not to Swing

With VV at school, Dagny and I were scheduled to enjoy the morning together. My plan was to quickly complete four errands and then do something fun.

Driving to the first errand, I mistakenly drove past a park with a swing. Dagny exclaimed and pointed, "Swing, swing, swing!" I respectfully responded that we just have four errands to run. If she were a good helper, then we can go to the park. In all fairness to her, I understand her inability to comprehend the meaning of four errands. When she sees a swing, she wants to swing NOW!

The first meltdown occurred in the parking lot at the first errand. It wasn't too bad, I distracted her with cereal and water.

Off to the second errand. Upon arrival, Dagny endured the second meltdown. This one, I could not moderate so well. She ran wildly around the parking lot in search of a swing. Afraid a car would hit her, I chased her for a long, distressing moment. Somehow, I don't know how, I finished the second errand, stuffed her into the carseat and vowed to never visit this locale again. Thank goodness Los Angeles is a BIG, sprawling city!

And, thank goodness we have a navigation system. I quickly searched for the nearest recreational park. It was only 10 minutes away! What would I have done without the navigation system? I don't care to know. I was desperate.

Arriving at the park, we immediately darted over to the swings. And that's where we stayed.

Me: (After a few minutes) Dagny, do you want to ride on the rocking horse?

Dags: No

Me: The lion?

Dags: No

Me: The seal?

Dags: No

Me: Do you want to swing some more?

Dags: Yeah

Me: (Letting a few more moments pass) Do you want to try the slide?

Dags: No

Me: Do you want to stay on the swing?

Dags: Yeah

For ten minutes I pushed her on the swing. At first, I tried to enjoy it. I mean, I SHOULD enjoy taking my daughter to the park and pushing her on the swing. It's not like she'll want to spend any time with me in ten or twelve years, right? So, I should enjoy this now!

But, I couldn't. I thought about the next two errands on my agenda and if I could complete them today. I thought about the next 75 minutes between now and when we had to pick up Valerie from school. I thought about when I might get to take a shower. I thought about the mess in my kitchen, hoping for the time to clean it before Ken arrives home. I thought about what I could make for lunch and dinner. I thought of all the things I SHOULD be doing instead of pushing Dagny on the swing. Then, I felt guilty for NOT enjoying the park time with my youngest child.

After ten minutes, I coaxed Dagny into the car promising that she could hold the cards at the Hallmark store, our next stop. Her stellar behavior allowed me to complete the remaining errands on today's agenda.

For a 2 year old, she's pretty flexible. It's mommy who needs to be more amenable to changing the plan and enjoying the moment.

Honestly, my kids are the best teachers I've ever had! Hopefully tomorrow I'll be a better student...

But, if any car manufacturers can create a switch that could block out parks and swings from being viewed from the backseat, I'd be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment