Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Shirtless Tomboy

I grew up on Ashby Avenue in Des Moines, Iowa. I lived on a great street for kids. There were kids of all ages in this neighborhood. On summer evenings, we often headed outside for a good game of kick the can. Actually, we played plenty of other games, but kick the can was most memorable.

I recall one time, I decided to be a tomboy and hang out with my older brother and his buddies. It was one of those famous midwestern muggy summer evenings. The buzz of cicadas was deafening. The boys took their shirts off and so did I. Being about seven years old, I didn't think anything of it, until my best friend informed me that girls are supposed to wear shirts. Of course, I marched straight to my mother indigniant that my friend was mistaken.

Me: Mo-om! Janney said that I have to wear my shirt!
My mom: Well, why did you take it off?
Me: Cuz Jason & Mike & Tim did.
My mom: Technically, girls should wear their shirts. But, since you don't have anything to show at this point, do whatever you want. In a few years, you might change your mind.

Satisfied with such an answer, I found my best friend and haughtily inform her that, "My mo-om said the I didn't have to we-ar my shirt! So, there!" I don't remember Janet's reaction, but I'm sure she wasn't pleased with my snotty response. Fortunately, we overcame that incident and have remained friend to this day!

Today, Dagny helped me recall this memory from the depths of my shriveling brain.

On March 6th, I posted a blog entry entitled "The Most Natural of States" explaining how my children can find any excuse to run around in their birthday suits.

Halfway through hosting a playdate today, Dags decided she didn't want to wear her shirt anymore. That was it, she was DONE with the shirt for the DAY. She wore her socks and shoes and allowed her little toddler tummy to pour over her diaper and leggings like a middle-aged grey-haired man with a beer-gut hanging over his suit pants and taking up too much space in the elevator.

The other kids wore their clothes or dress-up apparel. My topless tomboy daughter just ran around the backyard checking out bugs, riding her big wheel and collecting rocks.

Well, it's not like she has anything to show, yet. Maybe in a few years she'll change her mind. Every day, I sound more and more like my own mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment