Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Car Talk

Driving the girls to school this morning, the driver of the car in front of us was smoking. When he threw this cigarette butt out the window, I exclaimed, "Ewe, that is just nasty!"

Valerie: What happened mommy?
Me: Some man littered in the street. He was smoking, which is an awful habit (as I pantomime the act) and he threw the cigarette butt in the street. Smoking is bad! It will kill you, ya know that?
Valerie: It will kill me?
Me: Yes, sweety. You shouldn't smoke because it's a dirty habit and it kills people.
Valerie: Why?
Me: Because it makes your lungs dirty and starves your body cells of oxygen.
Valerie: (eyes glazing over) Oh!
Me: So, Valerie, is smoking clean or dirty?
Valerie: Dirty...
Me: Is smoking good for you or will it kill you?
Valerie: Kill you... Mommy, can I have yogurt after school?

Yup, that lesson really sunk in, I can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment