Monday, March 21, 2005

Don't Mess With A Girl & Her Chocolate

Having missed their spring school party on Friday, the girls returned home from school with their "goodie" bags containing more candy than I would prefer. We agreed that no candy would be consumed until naps were concluded. In my view, we had reached a clear meeting of the minds. The minute we stepped into the house with those cavity-causing sacks, trouble started.

From past experience with goodie bags, I have mysteriously discovered candy wrappers under cocktail tables and behind couches. In retrospect, I guess I should have suspected mischievous behavior when the girls were curiously quiet and left me to organize the kitchen in peace. However, they are usually clever enough to wipe the evidence of chocolate from their little lips prior to my uncovering the crime.

Today was different, Valerie appeared to comply with our candy agreement. However, I caught Dagny magnetized to a piece of chocolate fighting with the wrapper in hopes of popping it into her salivating mouth. Of course, I snagged the half unwrapped piece of chocolate and reminded her that she could eat it after her nap. This threw her into an unstoppable rage. I spent the better part of ten minutes attempting to cajole her upstairs and into her bed.

After putting Valerie into her "quiet time" mode, I resorted to carrying Dagny to her room, setting her onto the bed, kissing her, pulling up the covers and leaving the room - all while she continued to scream. Within moments she followed me back downstairs to continue raging at the counter attempting to coax the chocolate off the counter and into her salivating mouth. Being a less-than-lenient parent, I checked my email, made my lunch & even managed to eat while Dagny howled for that chocolate. As I expected, she eventually broke down and I gently walked the whimpering child to her room for a nap.

Upon awaking from the nap, I offered Dagny the promised chocolate and she happily held it in her hand. Yes, you read that correctly, she just held it in her hand..... For the next hour or two, I periodically asked her if she planned to eat it. She shook her head "no". I asked if she wanted to throw it away. She shook her head "no". After a few hours, I stopped monitoring the chocolate. I guess my own attention span is only so long. In fact, I completely lost track of the chocolate. At this point, I have no idea if she actually ate the treasured chocoloate.

I just may discover that precious chocolate ground into my carpet, hiding in a cabinet, stuck to a counter or who knows where. The other wonderment I have is WHEN will I find it - tomorrow, next week, next month, or even next year?

Again, she could have eaten it which would be the best scenario. But then again, maybe she didn't......

No comments:

Post a Comment