Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Identical Objects of Affection

As a mother of two daughters whose ages are six days short of two years apart, I buy most things in sets of two. Whether it be a coloring book, a child purse or a coat, I usually buy two of nearly everything. Not always are the bought objects identical, but often times they are.

When I was pregnant with Dags, I happened to purchase two identical orange nylon fabric Halloween bags. Valerie used one for Halloween at 18 months old. I saved the second bag for Dagny's use. These bags were of interest to my offspring today. As requested, I pulled them down from the closet shelf. Upon snatching them from my fingertips, the girls individually played with the one they received. As of yet, we have not imprinted their names. Being that they are identical, I view the bags as interchangeable.

Apparently, VV and Dags feel differently.

Early this afternoon, VV and Dags brawled over one specific orange nylon fabric Halloween bag, while the rejected identical bag sat on the sideline less than three feet away. Acting as the rational referee, I displayed the identical rejected bag to each contender, but was quickly rebuffed. Thereafter, I decided that they should work it out on their own. If they were going to be so stubborn and act ridiculously, I figured they would have to suffer the consequences of their actions. That is part of life, eh? When the battle continued for more that fifteen minutes, I broke it up by confiscating the disputed bag and corralled them to their respective rooms.

During the subsequent ceasefire, I reflected that I had participated in many such feuds with my own siblings. Growing up, my younger sister and I often received identical objects. However, in our eyes, one particular object was always nicer, cleaner, and somehow, generally better. Even now, I guess my sister and I still have these small tiffs, but we don't hit each other to show domination. Nowdays, it's usually a verbal battle.

For now, I'll just chalk up today's conflict to sibling rivalry and move on to bigger things. Still, it never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment