Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Timing is Everything

I realize it's an age-old problem between parents and children. There is no doubt I did it to my parents, and I now understand and share their frustration. Parents ask their children if they can perform some function for a child's benefit, such as getting a snack, tying shoes, helping with the potty, etc. The child emphatically declares, "No thanks," or simply ignores the parent. After repeated offerings, parents accept the repudiation and engross themselves in an independent activity like preparing a meal, reading a book or folding laundry. Within five or ten minutes, children interrupt and demand the parent perform recently offered function without delay.

Such exchanges plagued my day, yesterday.

Eample #1 from yesterday morning: "Daaaaaagny, let's get dressed!"

With her devilish grin, Dags shouted, "NO!" and giggled as she ran circles between the bedroom and bathroom.

Fine, I'll change tactics. "VV, it's time to brush your teeth."

"I ALREADY DID," VV, half-dressed, reponded joining the circle running game with her sister.

"OK, what about brushing your hair?"

"NOT YET," she rebuked, probably thinking, "I'm too busy and having too much fun chasing my sister."

Fine, I began to make the beds. Just as I pulled up the first sheet on one bed, I heard, " MOMMY, I NEED HELP! COME BRUSH MY HAIR. HUUUURRRRRYYYYYY!" Ugh! Just as I started to brush VV's hair, Dags hobbled into the bathroom, with a leg stuck in the arm-hole of a shirt, "HEP, HEP" she cried, "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH, HEP, HEP!" (2 year old speak for help). The beds could be made later.

Example #2 from yesterday before school: "VV are you ready to put your shoes on?"

No response. "VV, we are leaving for school, are you wearing shoes to school today?" Silence.

Fine. "Dagny, go get your coat. We're leaving for school." Nothing, they were engrossed in Dragon Tales. There was time to kill before leaving, so, I turned my attention to folding laundry. Within five minutes, my eardrums were assaulted with, "AAAAAHHH, MOMMY, I CAN'T GET MY SHOES ON. HEEEELLLLLPPPPP, IT'S ANNOYING ME! HUUUURRRRRYYYY!" Simultaneously, "HEP, HEP, GET MY JACKET!" The laundry could wait.

Example #3 from yesterday afternoon: "Dags, would you like some string cheese?" She responded with her new expression, "Yeah!" and I reached into the refrigerator.

"VV would you like string cheese?"

"NO THANK YOU!" So I sat down at the computer to check my email. I read no more than two messages, when the little beggar loomed by my left arm asking, "MOMMY, WHERE IS MY STRING CHEESE? I WANT SOME TOO!" Email messages would be postponed.

These were only three of the examples that come to immediate mind from yesterday.

And my darling, patient husband wonders why I am nothing less than irritated with the entire family by the 7pm bathtime.

SERENITY NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment