Monday, March 28, 2005

Turning of the Tide

Over a year ago, when Dagny was an immobile baby and Valerie was the agile preschooler, I often observed Valerie tormenting her baby sister. I distinctly remember hearing shrieks of delight coming from Dagny's mouth as I ran from the kitchen to the family room in pursuit of the cause. Much to my dismay, I discovered, Valerie jumping on Dagny until the contents of Dagny's stomache spewed onto the carpet. Despite the torment, Dags was enamored by her big sister at whatever the cost.

During less stressful moments, Ken and I somewhat jokingly discussed that a time would come when our younger, jolly and brutish child would torment our older, sensitive and dainty one.

During the past weekend, upon hearing what I thought were playful hollers, I walked into the toy room to discover Dags in a boisterous rant while twirling VV in a circle with a wad of VV's shirt in Dagny's little mitts. At best, VV looked bewildered.

While I should have gotten to the root of the cause and disallowed such behavior, undetected, I shook my head and walked away. A good part of me realizes that Valerie had it coming.

Evidently, the tides have turned.

No comments:

Post a Comment